Open Auditions for...
Written by Melanie Marnich
Directed by Gabe Rivas
Show Dates: May 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 2020
Audition Date: Wednesday February 12 at 7 p.m. @ the Theatre
THESE SHINING LIVES chronicles the strength and determination of women considered expendable in their day, exploring their
true story and its continued resonance. Catherine and her friends are dying, it's true; but theirs is a story of survival in
its most transcendent sense, as they refuse to allow the company that stole their health to kill their spirits-or endanger
the lives of those who come after them.
I'm looking for thoughtful actors (18+) who are prepared to be vulnerable and connect with others. Actors who aren't afraid to dive in & really put in the work.
Auditions will consist of improvisations and cold readings from the script.
*No prior preparation required*
The play spans sixteen years, from 1922 to 1938, so I'll be looking for actors who have the ability to play both young and old(er), energetic and world-weary, and take the audience with them on that sixteen-year journey.
- Character Descriptions:
- Minimum 4F, 2M (with doubling)
The play is written for a minimum of six actors, with the play suggesting actors can 'double'. The four women of the story are pitched as being in their mid-late twenties. A full character list, is provided below.
- Female Leads:
- Catherine Donohue - The main protagonist. The actor is required to switch between her character in the part of the narrator and her character in the story as she succumbs to radium poisoning.
- Charlotte Purcell - Straight talking and tough. With a soft side somewhere underneath
- Frances O'Connell - Viewed as having the moral backbone of the four women, which could suggest she is a little older.
- Pearl Payne - Easy-going and chatty.
- Male Leads:
- Tom Donohue - Catherine's husband.
- Mr Reed - Radium Dial Supervisor.
- Other Named Characters:
- Dr Rowntree - Makes a brief appearance promoting the perceived value of 'Radium'.
- Dr Dalitsch - Doctor in Chicago who diagnoses radium poisoning.
- Leonard Grossman - The attorney who agrees to take the case to court.
- Other Unnamed Supporting Characters:
- Company Doctor - Makes a brief appearance as the first doctor to evaluate the women.
- Judge - appears in the court cases.
- Son - Son of Catherine and Tom.
- Daughter - Daughter of Catherine and Tom.
- Reporter 1 - Reports on court case.
- Report 2 - Reports on court case.
- Radio Announcer - Advertisement for radium.